Ark Globe Academy adopts the following definition of Inclusion:
“Inclusion is a sense of belonging: feeling respected, valued for who you are; feeling a level of supportive energy and commitment from others so than you can do your best work.”
Miller and Katz (2002)
The Inclusion Policy is an overarching policy which supports the mission and aims of our English as an Additional Language (EAL), Gifted and Talented (G&T) and Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) procedures. The policy is also linked to many other academy policies such as the: Curriculum, Differentiation, Equal Opportunities, Health and Safety, Behaviour, Anti-Bullying, Child Protection, Racial Equality, Admissions and Exclusion.
Aims: We aim to provide a stimulating learning environment across the whole curriculum which maximises individual potential and ensures that pupils of all ability levels are well equipped to meet the challenges of education, work and life.
This is achieved by:
• Designing a curriculum to promote a full range of learning, thinking and life skills.
• Providing a balanced and relevant curriculum, where the emphasis is on depth before breadth.
• Using flexible and responsive teaching and learning styles.
• Equipping students with the skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary to succeed as individuals and as responsible and valued members of society.
• Developing a close partnership with the whole community, particularly parents/carers.
We aim to be an inclusive academy and offer equality of opportunity to all groups of pupils within the academy.
These groups include:
• Boys and girls.
• Pupils from minority faiths, ethnicities, travellers, asylum seekers, refugees.
• Pupils who have English as an additional language.
• Pupils who have Special and Additional Educational Needs.
• Pupils who are Gifted and Talented.
• Pupils who are Looked After children.
• Pupils who are at risk of disaffection or exclusion, young carers, sick children, children from families under stress.
We aim to provide a differentiated curriculum that meets the needs of all pupils, individuals and groups by:
• Setting suitable learning challenges.
• Responding to pupils’ diverse learning needs.
• Overcoming potential barriers to learning and assessment.
We aim to provide a happy, healthy and safe academy by:
• Recognising, reflecting and celebrating the skills, talents, contributions and diversity of all our pupils.
• Providing high quality pastoral care, support and guidance.
• Safeguarding the health, safety and welfare of pupils.
• Listening and responding to the concerns of children and parents/carers.
• Taking care to balance the needs of all members of the academy community.
We secure inclusive education for our pupils by reviewing and evaluating what is done:
• Does each pupil achieve as much as they can?
• Are there differences in the achievements of different groups of pupils?
• What is in place for pupils who are not achieving their potential?
• Are our actions effective?
• Are all our pupils happy to be in school?
All members of our academy community are valued and are offered wide ranging opportunities to enable high standards of achievement. All policies within the academy support inclusion and are reflected in the Academy Improvement Plan.
All pupils at Ark Globe Academy are entitled to receive:
• A full and warm welcome, acceptance and real opportunities to make positive relationships with their peers and adults.
• Respect from their peers and adults.
• A broad, balanced and relevant curriculum which meets any needs they may have.
• Support to develop their independent learning skills and independence within the academy community.
• Access to as full a range of learning opportunities as possible including collaborative learning with their peers.
• Appropriate, timely and effective support and access to resources and advice to assist in overcoming potential barriers to learning.
• Learning experiences that provide appropriate challenges and high expectations.
• A learning environment that promotes positive attitudes to gender, disability, and racial, social and cultural diversity.
Details of ARK Globe's local offer for SEND can be found below.
Globe Ark Academy Special Educational Needs and Disability - Inclusion Policy & Accessibility Plan: Ark Globe Academy SEND Policy 2017
Southwark SEND Local Offer:
If you wish to access a hard copy of any policy please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.